Monday 26 March 2018

12/52 'dark landscape' .....

How wonderful to return to 'the dark side'!  My books of late seem to have taken me much further into the light than I am used to with my work and it felt really good to take hold of some of my darker, more obscure work and turn it into my twelfth book for the year.


There is something very simple and wonderful in making a book with no sewing - a folded book.  I remember learning this simple technique many many years ago in a workshop with Keith Smith and although I use it sparingly, I do like it.  This method is a fun and easy one to make with children.




 The book is 'readable' by turning the pages and looking at each section solely or by opening it out flat and seeing the whole story.  By sheer nature of the intimacy of artists' books, I prefer seeing the small steps, part of the story, the slow reveal - the larger image broken down into small intriguing moments.


Hopefully when you open this particular style of book into its two dimensional version, the fragments coalesce to form a satisfying whole.

10 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Many thanks Susan. Nice to say hello to another susan or are you a Sue?

      Delete
  2. love how the accordion folds create a different perspective, dimension and depth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am beginning to find the accordion fold one of my favourites.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks Fiona. Enjoyed being back with my greys!

      Delete
  4. Beautiful book! I love your dark landscapes!
    Greetings!
    Solveig

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you and warmest greetings to you too. Just had a wander through your blog and loved all I saw.

      Delete
  5. I'm fascinated by this lovely piece as I often make accordion fold books in one form or another. How did you construct it? I assume it was made from one large drawing which was cut into sections and then mounted ... onto another large sheet of paper? Was it then cut across the middle? In part? or to give two long strips? These appear to be joined at the ends so the piece can be opened out and viewed as a whole. Am I right about this? Sorry to ask so many questions but I'm fascinated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Margaret. You have the right idea regarding the book structure. In a couple of days i will email you and include visuals of how to cut the folded paper.

      Delete

I appreciate your comments - thank you!