Saturday 21 March 2015

soft look at boulders .....

While staying at Moeraki I was sketching ideas for further work.  Much of my sketching was fairly dark with inks and charcoal but on the day we were working at Shag Point, I started some quick but soft sketching on translucent paper which I had placed over rusted papers which I had brought along with me.  I made a book, not yet quite finished, but using this technique of softer drawings over the rust, though I also left some of the rusted paper exposed.

I think this work best represents the look or feel of the boulders at Shag Point though I can't see this way of working suiting the Moeraki beach boulders.  If i do work this way with them then I will definitely have to bring in some blues for the water that swells around the boulders as the tide is in.


























Perhaps some darker work using inks and charcoal will suit my work on the Moeraki Boulders more ... though I am putting away my ideas for now and concentrating on those things which I want to exhibit later this year.  No doubt I will find my way back here as I feel a very special connection to this place.


10 comments:

  1. I am in love with these beautiful drawings - they capture the soul and spirit of the boulders, their history and there meanings for many people both now and in the past.
    I look forward to maybe getting one of these to put in a frame in my house - again your talent and what to leave out in a drawing touches me so much. I am at the moment going through the struggles of new work based on our trip to Venice - like you I have an exhibition later in the year.
    Inspiring again - thank you Susan. Diane. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for this wonderful comment Diane - I am really pleased that you felt my sketches captured the spirit of these boulders.

      Delete
  2. I love the way that you have captured the feel of your photographs: the layers of the ground, sea, rocks, reflections, while giving that lively impression of movement - the constant shifting. Wondrous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Olga. Sometimes it shard to find a way to express the way you sense or see things. I am enjoying working with the softness for a while but am fairly sure that I will need much stronger marks for Moeraki.

      Delete
  3. SB - so often the beauty is in the detail - thank you for sharing those. So pleased that the MB trip went well and was filled with inspiration. B

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thank Barry - MB trip was sheer delight and I came home armed with a bounty of photographs and ideas.

      Delete
  4. What a delightful series of posts, from the photographic sharing of your journey to this one of your evocative marking/ drawing/layering. You have done a beautiful job of recreating on paper what you experienced out there at the edge of the water. I've enjoyed seeing the bridge you've created between landscape/body, camera/eye and studio/hands in the last few posts. I don't know if my urge is stronger to be in the studio or travel to the sea, but I do know that I feel very inspired!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I keep chuckling over your comment Lisa ..... wonder if you made it to the sea or have been busy in the studio? Thank you for taking time to wander through those photographs and seeing the links into my sketches. I really hope that I manage to do some worthy work down the track. Am trying to focus on things closer to home for the moment.

      Delete
  5. Oh my goodness Susan these drawings have "the muchness" as the Mad Hatter played by Johnny Depp said to Alice~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ooohhh - I do love it when you think my drawings have 'the muchness'. Many thanks Mo.

      Delete

I appreciate your comments - thank you!