Monday 26 August 2013

flora and fauna .....

And of course - just a few photographs of my favourite things ..... tree trunks and marks (plus some bird and plant photographs along the way).

I took many photos of the calligraphy tree - can see an artist's book coming from it, and the photographs of the tree bark at the end of this post, which I still need to identify.  I was enthralled with its patterns and took dozens of images.

At the end of each day's travel and camp I was too tired to keep a diary so I am very thankful for the camera which will always prompt memories.  Extra thankful to the new technology of GPS in cameras which allows us to see where each photograph was taken - at least my latest little Lumix does, not my Canon. After each trip we take I come home visually saturated and it takes a while for that to settle down while the creative juices kick in.  At the moment, though it was a wonderful trip, I am feeling travel weary and doubt that we will do any for a while to come.  Luckily it is so very beautiful where we live, there is no need to do more than open one's eyes in the morning to be inspired.































9 comments:

  1. Such a feast for the eyes... love seeing through your filter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Valerie. I guess we all tend to filter don't we. See the things we love best and put them forward .... We make our art that way too I guess.

      Delete
  2. I love the textures, colors, lines, reflections and compositions you have chosen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Leslie .... having now gone through a couple more thousand of my photos I realise I could post on photographic images forever. But that is not the purpose of 'tracemarks'!

      Delete
  3. What amazing trees - do you know what causes the lines on them - love them.
    Thank you for the great comments on my work - 7 pieces sold since Friday evening .

    Diane. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad your opening was a success Diane. These writings on the trunks are what we tend to call 'scribbly gums' - marks made into the eucalyptus by insect larvae burrowing between layers of old and new bark. When the old bark falls away, these markings are revealed. The tree I photographed here was a particularly fine example - though in the past I have collected hundreds of images of the patterns made.

      Delete
  4. SB - many beautiful images but I think the bark tells the best story. B

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes indeed Barry - the bark and the markings are my favourites. Always. Must try and identify the tree.

      Delete
  5. Sometimes I think that where I live (east coast of the US) has to be the most visually boring place on earth. You have just confirmed that for me. What an amazing place you live in.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments - thank you!