Saturday 9 February 2013

paused .....

Sometimes there is a real breakthrough in the studio and I have just had one.  I decided not to put pressure on myself to finish 'downstream' before I go away.  Seems like such a small decision and yet I was putting pressure on myself to complete this project when the reality is that it can wait.  And will be better off for the delay I imagine.



Instead, I have been writing up notes on the collaboration with Fiona and sticking in examples of all the testing bits I made along the way.  I have been a little behind on this of late. The notebook will be fun to look back on one day and certainly will be used as a reference for some of the techniques I have been experimenting with in the last year.  Most of those have come about by exploring different directions - being nudged or pushed by Fiona in our collaborative endeavours, or just merely by my own meandering.











So, a pause here and a push there.  Gradually getting ready for our trip which is approaching very quickly.

6 comments:

  1. S - given the amount of testing and challenging and collaboration you pair are doing it is so important to capture the process it tells such an amazing story - very few artists are willing to take the art risks that you are though this process - brilliant. B

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Barry - that means a great deal. it is a risky thing and though at times scary, we two have ultimately enjoyed each collaboration. I am excited about seeing Fiona's book completed tomorrow.

      Delete
  2. I love that moment when you give yourself permission to stop pushing for a deadline that is basically self-imposed! It's a bit nuts isn't it really? but we all do it, and I think the relief you get from letting go is just wonderful. Well done you! And I spent time today pasting into my book and jotting notes as well - soon all shall be revealed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is nuts isn't it. The pressure is only coming from within but it is that desire for closure, or for tidying things away before the next adventure. I know there will be plenty of time for working once I get back and it really has eased my stress this week, just to put this project aside. And ALAW - which I will catch up on once i am home!

      Delete
  3. What a treasure to have this notebook to reference. It's a wonderful book in its own right. I also enjoyed the post showing your collaboration so far. You and Fiona have such a synergistic relationship!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Julie. Fiona and I are hoping that this collaboration will lead to a major joint exhibition in a year or so. I think people viewing our books will be just as interested in the notebooks and workings of each project. I know I would be ..... hence the keeping of notes. Actually it is a really fine discipline and I hope to adopt that with more of my work too. Blogging has also been an amazing reference tool for all that happens in the Studio. I am so glad I began - almost a year ago.

      Delete

I appreciate your comments - thank you!