Tuesday 29 January 2013

after the big blow .....

 Be careful what you wish for!  Isn't that what they say?  Last post 'rain glorious rain' shared the delight in receiving rain fall after so long.

That turned into a deluge of over a metre of rain over the last three days, wreaking havoc along nearly two thousand kilometres of our eastern coastline.  Unbelievable.  Power down, phones too.  Internet now back on after three days and those who lost power and phones up here on the Range have just got those services back.

Apart from looking shredded and having a  massive amount of leaf and branch debris lying around, we didn't fare too badly.  All the infrastructure we have put in over the last couple of years, and the rebuilding of the house, was all worthwhile.  We lost about a dozen large trees - but way down lower on the land.  All safe around the house.  We are blessed.

I walked around the acres yesterday, photographing the damage and came across this sawn tree trunk.  I decided to post on it - the natural pattern contrasted with man made cuts - as I found it particularly beautiful in amidst all the mess around.

I couldn't decide which photos to post so I am including them all! Enjoy.








































11 comments:

  1. Glad you are through it with little damage in the house area. Big wind and big trees near the house is a scary combination. I've learned this since moving to a house in a tall forest!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You wouldn't change it would you - but it can be just that much more scary when there is HUGE wind. We came out of it so well really.

      Delete
  2. You have a trace-mark view of things! You seem to bring up calligraphic qualities in everything too. It's great to know that your house is safe, Susan. Keep well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that you get my work Ersi .... I spent AGES coming up with a blog name (actually tracemarks but it got messed up somehow and I had to replace with trace-marks) which represented the work I do. Thank you for noticing!

      Delete
  3. such beauty
    in the power of nature
    wishing you well

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Elizabeth. It is hard to beat nature really - yet we all try!

      Delete
  4. A big storm always alters my perspective for a while. Wonderful images Susan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Doesn't it just. You go out and look at all the damage, feel thankful there was not more and then focus on some beautiful little work of art that nature proffers as a reward. Bliss.

      Delete
  5. looks like rust marks .... its always good to hear when people are safe amid chaos .... >>> Gina

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think that is what caught my eye Gina. That gorgeous rusty red.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments - thank you!