Thursday 31 May 2012

The Studio - brisbane ....

Yesterday I had the chance to slip down to Brisbane and catch up with dear friends Adele and Wim.  It should have been last Friday - we usually go out and celebrate their birthdays in May as they are two weeks apart, but mum ended up in emergency ..... and thus plans change!  We all know about that.

This is Wim de Vos, the man who taught me to be a printmaker way back in 1998 in The Studio , and I still spend time there occasionally for masterclasses.  Adele Outteridge shares this studio space and teaches book arts.  It was Del who started my passion for bookmaking and artist's books.  Quite a change from the drawing and painting that had previously been my focus.

Wim has just come back from months travelling overseas and with a mind and heart full of incredible experiences and visual memories and he is now bringing some of those into a creative reality in the form of books. The one seen here is a tunnel book of the Ghetto in Venice.  I took a number of photos but decided that when Wim is ready, he will be showing off his marvellous book and I did not want to preempt that unveiling.  Suffice to say, it is quite brilliant, as his work is - please take time out to see some of their work in The Studio link provided above.




This colourful array is the beginning of another book of Wim's to do with the Red Light District in Amsterdam.  Can't wait to see it finished.  Once he is exhibiting these works I am sure he will be happy for me to photograph and post the images.





In previous posts I have talked about the DaD project initiated by Adele in 1998 - and I am pretty sure that as a comparison to my poor attempts to draw each day of the year since then, I mentioned Wim and 
Del and their dedication to the project.  Here is a photo of the bookcase holding the many, many volumes of Wim's drawing a day journals. Oh, I am so envious of his discipline.  His journals are not only a reflection of what is happening in his life each day, but a reflection on what is happening currently in the world of politics and shenanigans in public life.  He often draws from things that are happening globally or locally for his daily drawings.  Many of the bits and pieces in front of his drawings were brought back from his last trip.





Now I could have taken hundreds of photos of Adele and here beautiful books, but would not do so without her being present, or without her permission.  She was off during the day doing a book binding week at the State Library with Keith Smith and Scott McCarney who are out here from America.  I did ask her for permission to use a few photos I took of 'stuff' in the studio.  These books are just some of the 'stuff' piled into cubicles - certainly not Del's masterpieces which are beautifully displayed and housed around The Studio.  Not mine to show you though .... maybe one day.  You will have a glimpse of her talent looking at their website.






And this is for Jennifer who reads my blog whenever I post and is usually the very first to comment - this is their  'stuff' wall.  Wim and Del are masters of 'stuff' and ever since I have known them, have been collecting and filling perspex boxes (which Wim makes) and creating this wall between their personal space and the teaching area.  Each box would make a photo in its own right - full of the comical and the whimsical, the interesting and the memory collections.  Talk about lust and envy.




Just everywhere in The Studio is something to look at ......... and enjoy.




And here, up on the shelf, is one of my books that Wim bought from one of my Open Studio Days.  The black and white book on the left, in its perspex box.  The book is titled 'Road Trip' and as I had shamefully not done so before its sale, I took the opportunity to photograph it yesterday while in The Studio.  I will write about it at a later date.




 Well, some days lately have been sad or stressed, but yesterday was a day full of colour, fun and friendship.  We dined last night on a Japanese Banquet which was delicious and then though I drove back up to Montville (an hour and a half north of Brisbane) - it felt as if I rolled!



5 comments:

  1. ooooooo droooling! I've long admired the booky work of Wim and Adele - now I'm a fan of their yummy studio too! lucky you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are a great couple of artists Ronnie and have started many others on their journeys with bookmaking and printing. I am so glad I came to know them - 14 years ago we became friends. Amazing.

      Delete
  2. Looks like I'm first to comment again. Must be something to do with the fact that I'm rising as you're ending your day.

    LOVE Wim and Adele's "stuff" wall! What a delightful way to showcase it. I'll be back to peruse it often and discover another hidden treasure. Thank you for thinking of me!

    Vim's work is amazing. I appreciate that you didn't post a lot of photos, but left it for him to post. Of course, now I'm eager to see the insides of the tunnel book and, especially, what is to become of the colorful rectangular tubes.

    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. not first this time Jennifer! Yep - that 'stuff' wall is really seriously cool. I didn't want to give too much of his work away. Once work is 'out there' so to speak I think it is wonderful to pass it around, but until the artist him or herself has put it out and about, it is really not up to us to trump them. Tempting as it is sometimes ..... I actually own quite a few of their pieces so will do a post on those one day.

      Delete

I appreciate your comments - thank you!