Friday 11 May 2012

morning coffee and shadow play .....

I had a really broken sleepless night and over my coffee this morning, standing looking out at the ocean, I had decided to head back to bed for a while.  Until I saw these shadows on the wall made by the early morning sun playing with my kettle.  Sounds so mundane and yet I felt my heart quicken, suddenly alert and no longer thinking about a return to slumber.

The images have been tweaked just a little - adding some depth and some warmth.  I think they are soft and gorgeous.  Maybe a starting point for something .... I don't know.  And I love the fact that I don't know because often images you make or collect can sit around for a while just wallowing in their mere existence until you decide to take them in another direction.






















10 comments:

  1. Wonderful images - I love it when images suddenly present themselves to you and brighten your day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I first viewed these last night (for me) before going to bed and was too tired to think straight. Still, the images kept popping into my mind. They're wonderful in the play of light and shadow and texture. Seems as if the light were dancing and asking you to join.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Carol and Jennifer. It was such a lovely gift this morning. The shadows looked like woven thread - fabric draping itself across the wall beside the window. I too feel there is an element of dance in the lines. Glad you saw that too Jennifer. And Carol you are so right about unexpected images that can appear and brighten your day. I think all artists must experience this now and then. Ifyou keep your eyes open I believe it happens often.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that kettle shadows changed the course of your morning! I also love that you too take these photos; it's nothing for one or the other of us to stop and get the kettle reflections; or the light in the sink or some other weird yet wonderful tree of lines. A wonderful life we get to live and observe isn't it? Go well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful play of light and shadow....so evocative of the fleeting moments that make up our lives. Glad you saw them and that they released you from the call of slumber!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Fiona and Patti. I think we as artists get soooo much more out of life than others who do not see as we do. Just think of the immense joy we find in shadows and rust, peeling paint and magic marks. Bliss.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love shadows and the play of light.. one foot in the dark and one foot in the light... wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Donna - wish they were paintings I had done and not just photographs. I love that concept of one foot in the dark and one in the light.

      Delete
  8. Gorgeous! I love that unexpected moment of discovery.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments - thank you!